Buy the e-book.
American Authors Unplugged
Now available in print!
Representative of modern American Literature, the conversations with authors in this book are evenly divided between men and women who bring to life the experiences of natives, immigrants, slaves and rebels. As a whole, they address the enduring themes of freedom and the pursuit of happiness.
Good books never get old, and each of the books discussed in this volume are as worthy of reading today as they were twenty years ago. The conversations are transcripts of recorded interviews. They were conducted for WBAI/Pacifica Radio between 1995 and 1999.
- Rudolfo Anaya —Zia SUmmer
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni — Sister of My Heart
- Russel Banks — Cloudsplitter
- Nora Okja Keller — Comfort Woman
- Dr. Leonard Shlain — The Alphabet Veresus the Goddess
- Barbara Chase-Riboud — The President’s Daughter
- A.A. Carr — Eye Killers
- Lan Cao — Monkey Bridge
- Hal Sirowitz — My Therapist Said
- Kate Horsley — Crazy Woman
- Dennis McFarland — A Face at the Window
While I was a producer I received many, many books from publishers all seeking publicity for their titles. Not only was I grateful for the free books, I was also in the comfortable position of choosing the ones that most interested me. Now, almost twenty years later, I recognize that these books and authors are part of my education as a writer, and my line of questioning an indication of the themes that I am concerned with.